November 23, 2014, 09:52:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The best way to love ourselves according to the Buddha is by loving others.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana  (Read 1393 times)
jyhopester

jyhopester@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »

Which should I go for?

May all sentient beings be blessed and gain Enlightenment.
Crazywisdom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:23:36 AM »

They are like shoes, try them out for size and pick the one that fits you best  Smiley

cw Wink

more arsehat that arhat ;-)
Blueberry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 01:20:05 AM »

hi CW

what do you mean with "try them out" ?
is it like doing research on them? or investigate? wud one be lost in keep "trying" from one to another to find the most suitable for him/her?

for me... even after i decided to follow vajrayana without considering others...then i feel i wud never finish learn abt it...HOW then? I just feel Vajrayana is my path.......
ysng101

ragger101@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:46 AM »

The journey to enlightenment,  is not a journey that you can travel alone.  You would still need guru's , centers and the support system of the sangha.

Investigation here would mean visiting other centers with different traditions. Talking with them, checking out their activities and programmes.  From there you would get a better idea of which tradition would suit you better.   

After choosing a center and the tradition the center follows,  one must devote oneself to instructions of one's Guru and  the practices of that center.  No more " shopping around" .   That doesn't mean that we boycott other traditions,  we still can read up on other traditions ,  find out more info on what these traditions are.  They are all Buddha's teaching as well.  That is,  only  after , you have finish your daily commitments to your guru.
Blueberry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »

Thanks Y...your explaination help

Anyway my buddhist friend ( from other tradition-Japanesse) asked to come to her temple to join her to do prayer.
And then again she asked me to come to her class to listen dharma
I didnt say yes yet...as somehow i dont know what wud i do there?

Should i avoid her invitation?
Zenji

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:45:24 AM »

Thanks Y...your explaination help

Anyway my buddhist friend ( from other tradition-Japanesse) asked to come to her temple to join her to do prayer.
And then again she asked me to come to her class to listen dharma
I didnt say yes yet...as somehow i dont know what wud i do there?

Should i avoid her invitation?

I wouldn't avoid your friends invitation.  If she's inviting you to prayer, just explain that her beliefs are not your beliefs and that you would not be comfortable going to a prayer session.  However, I would encourage you to go to the dharma talk so that you can learn from their perspective (and perhaps even put your debate skills to the test) without compromising your beliefs.

Thayata: gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate bodhi soha
Blueberry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:02:08 AM »

mm... i will consider that

Maybe its more to listen to learn from other perspective but .. debate ..hehe.. i m still yet that level
ysng101

ragger101@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 03:13:20 AM »

Have you commited yourself to any centers yet ? 

If yes,  then you should politely decline.  Imagine that you are already trying to do your daily sadhana's for one center,  trying to do it well and understand it  ,    then you go ahead to another center and do the sadhana's there as well.  You'll pretty confused .  It's good that you try to learn from another perspective,   but you should make sure that you are fully grounded in the teachings of your existing center first before you can start to make comparisons in the different teachings.  If you are still shaky from  your centers teachings and you try to understand the teachings from another center..  that's double the confusion for you !  How do you know if you are ready ? You would ask your guru first,  "may I attend teachings from that center ? " . Your guru will know if you are ready to go or not.

If no, then by all means , go there with an open mind and learn dharma.

If you are undecided,  you have to follow your heart and karma and commit yourself to one center and one tradition. Take your time, but do remember  , time is short.   You will gain faster spiritual progress once you make that commitment.  Do remember that all centers are Buddha's center,  not one is better than the other.   You should not feel pressured but great joy when you make that commitment.
Blueberry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:31:01 AM »

Have you commited yourself to any centers yet ? 

If yes,  then you should politely decline.  Imagine that you are already trying to do your daily sadhana's for one center,  trying to do it well and understand it  ,    then you go ahead to another center and do the sadhana's there as well.  You'll pretty confused .  It's good that you try to learn from another perspective,   but you should make sure that you are fully grounded in the teachings of your existing center first before you can start to make comparisons in the different teachings.  If you are still shaky from  your centers teachings and you try to understand the teachings from another center..  that's double the confusion for you !  How do you know if you are ready ? You would ask your guru first,  "may I attend teachings from that center ? " . Your guru will know if you are ready to go or not.

If no, then by all means , go there with an open mind and learn dharma.

If you are undecided,  you have to follow your heart and karma and commit yourself to one center and one tradition. Take your time, but do remember  , time is short.   You will gain faster spiritual progress once you make that commitment.  Do remember that all centers are Buddha's center,  not one is better than the other.   You should not feel pressured but great joy when you make that commitment.

hehehehe... i belong to Kechara la ... ( i didnt take refuge yet.. seem i must collect more merits for that)

Just my friend feel that i dont have "temple" here so she invited me to visit hers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: