October 01, 2014, 03:11:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The best way to love ourselves according to the Buddha is by loving others.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vajrasattva’s Purification Practice  (Read 1623 times)
unofficialsamurai

View Profile Email
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:02:13 AM »

is there a difference between the short and long mantra of the Vajrasattva’s Purification Practice in terms of purifying  negative karma?

If not, why is there a long/short version at all?

hmmm...

can any one clear this up for me?

thank you and many bows to all

SharpPudding
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:24:25 PM »

The long mantra is the praise by the consort. All forms of Vajrasattva actually have a consort that either is imagined embracing him or within his heart.

Outwardly, not knowing the tantra, they're the same, just jumbles of words, but the meaning is actually very important here. There has been a censoring of Vajrasattva which has robbed a lot of people of key parts of the practice.

First lights go out into space inviting the Buddha's body speech and mind into the visualizated Vajrasattva and consort. Then, simultaneously the red and white substance mix as the consort recites the praise, the mala of the mantra forms a internal ring between them, so from the mouth of the consort into vajrasattva and through the secret organs, then out the mouth of the consort and so on. The nectar is the white and red substance which pouring into you gives birth to the bodhisattva.

Anyways there you go, those are the major parts that are missing, also the mudras are missing, but I'm not going into that,.. if anyone sees a flaw in that description feel free to correct it.
SharpPudding
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »

You shouldn't use this description for practice by the way, I am not a proper source.
unofficialsamurai

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »

Thank you!
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »

since the long mantra requires more effort to chant, the long one is typically used for purification practices. Even though both mantras have the same effect but cutting corners is really funny dont you think Smiley

also, the longer mantra when translated is very beautiful Smiley

If you propose to speak, always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind." ~Buddha
unofficialsamurai

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »

I guess if you legitimately do not have the time to do the long mantra it  is OK to do the short mantra.  But if you can do the Long Mantra and you do the short one just to be lazy then I do not think much karma is purified since you are using a practice to create more imprints on being lazy...

hmmm...just some of my thoughts...

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 04:20:49 AM »

I guess if you legitimately do not have the time to do the long mantra it  is OK to do the short mantra.  But if you can do the Long Mantra and you do the short one just to be lazy then I do not think much karma is purified since you are using a practice to create more imprints on being lazy...

well short ones are not counted in the preliminary practices...go figure :p. the long one is called the 100 syllable Vajrasattva and most texts/pujas/practices would prescribe that instead of the short one. hint hint!!

If you propose to speak, always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind." ~Buddha
ethanhoo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »

well short ones are not counted in the preliminary practices...go figure :p. the long one is called the 100 syllable Vajrasattva and most texts/pujas/practices would prescribe that instead of the short one. hint hint!!

Talking about preliminaries. For mandala offering, we do the 37 heaps mandala offering one round, followed by short mandala offerings, right? Or only the 37 heaps mandala offerings count?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: