April 17, 2014, 10:30:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The best way to love ourselves according to the Buddha is by loving others.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dharma as an Ego Boost  (Read 811 times)
studyreligions

With Venerable Geshe Phuntsok Gyaltsen _/\_

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:49:51 AM »

Most recently, I have been thinking about the way the ego sneaks in our Dharma practice. For example, the more knowledge I gain, there is the danger of it becoming mere knowledge to show off, to look holy shmoly as Tsem Rinpoche puts it, but in reality, it has not become one with my mind stream. I can say yeah yeah... I know the lam rim, sure... precious human rebirth, and death and impermanence, basic stuff. But, when I do Dharma with the 8 worldly concerns for praise or reputation, this turns my Dharma practice into the causes and conditions for samsara... and when Dharma study/practice/knowledge becomes a cause for samsara/ego boost, where can liberation be found. I can only hope it plants the seeds to be able to gain direct realizations in the future and not plants more seeds for ego weeds in our garden of Dharma. The only cause for using Dharma as an ego boost is that I haven't truly realized death and impermanence.

"Some people think they can know the path by reading books and not have a guru, but this is not good enough--you must rely on a qualified guru." - Pabongka Rinpoche in Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand, (pg. 218).
studyreligions

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 01:24:21 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsnoJEwXjyM&feature=related

"Some people think they can know the path by reading books and not have a guru, but this is not good enough--you must rely on a qualified guru." - Pabongka Rinpoche in Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand, (pg. 218).
Crazywisdom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »

Sometimes when i think i have made some progress with the Dharma it turns out that its like i've just peeled a layer of an onion, theres more of the same delusion and ego beneath!

Jon Smiley

more arsehat that arhat ;-)
studyreligions

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »

Great analogy Jon! same here lol

wmw111
Administrator

wmw113@hotmail.com wmw111.rm
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »

Stay grounded, sometimes interacting with other people can help give clues to who we are right now?

Do we get them to commit more in dharma or we turn them away ?   

Of course if you have a lay sangha to support and more senior people around they can be of help too.

'Fear is the absolute confusion between you and your projections'

'You are very preoccupied with getting what you want, so you will fail to see what is'

~ Chogyam Trungpa ~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: