September 02, 2014, 06:58:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The best way to love ourselves according to the Buddha is by loving others.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buddha's emanation  (Read 1023 times)
wmw111
Administrator

wmw113@hotmail.com wmw111.rm
View Profile Email
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:33:22 AM »

Buddhas and high level bodhisattvas can emanate many forms, the more realized  the more forms it can emanate to .

So question is , let say it is a being that Buddha emanates into , let say a dog. The dog has the Buddha mind in it is that correct?  so whatever the dog does benefits other beings?

Question again , if there are so many Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who have become enlightened in the past, won't there be many of them around us.  So how many of us are not emanations?

'Fear is the absolute confusion between you and your projections'

'You are very preoccupied with getting what you want, so you will fail to see what is'

~ Chogyam Trungpa ~
Crazywisdom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:31:20 AM »

I'm not sure what an emination is   Huh Is it a dog or such, and then a Buddha goes 'into' it to help other beings, or, is it there is no dog then the Buddha appears as a dog to help beings   Grin

I would think that in either case, if there is a Buddha in there somewhere then the actions will benefit other beings.

Well i know i'm not an emination Tongue I was going to say i hope i'm not the only one left who isn't an emination but realised that in fact i hope i am the only one left  Cheesy

Jon  Smiley

more arsehat that arhat ;-)
spiritnoname
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 06:11:23 PM »

I think the term emanation is not really well understood, I'm not entirely sure what it means even because I'd have to know how it works.
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 01:01:44 PM »

from what  I understand, an emanation is a being or an object that has the same nature of the Buddha that emanated it - meaning that it is enlightened although it appears worldy and it exists for a specific purpose. It is somewhat like the Buddha creates another consciousness from the Buddha's own mindstream.

Je Pabongkha has mentioned that they would even emanate as inanimate objects such as bridges and roads in order to benefit others, so to really attempt to answer your question would be mind boggling.

and even if we are emanations, we will never know until the Guru points out that we are and remind us of what we're supposed to do.

If you propose to speak, always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind." ~Buddha
spiritnoname
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »

My thoughts on emanations are that one uses their view in such a way to bring into being whatever they need, necessities become present and they are brought about in accordance with the goals of the practitioner, since the consciousness of the practitioner made it possible for these things to appear by mental action, they're called emanations, but the practitioner did not create them and they may (if it's a person) have their own karma and consciousness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is like entirely my own ideas and no teaching on this subject comes to mind.
greasypalm

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 02:20:26 PM »

from what  I understand, an emanation is a being or an object that has the same nature of the Buddha that emanated it - meaning that it is enlightened although it appears worldy and it exists for a specific purpose. It is somewhat like the Buddha creates another consciousness from the Buddha's own mindstream.

Je Pabongkha has mentioned that they would even emanate as inanimate objects such as bridges and roads in order to benefit others, so to really attempt to answer your question would be mind boggling.

and even if we are emanations, we will never know until the Guru points out that we are and remind us of what we're supposed to do.

Well put Joey.

So when we get stuck in a traffic jam (inanimate), we are tested to the limit on our patience.

As to so many Buddhas and Bodhisattvas - hmmm... I always thought there is only ONE who emanates in so many different forms.
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »

Well put Joey.

So when we get stuck in a traffic jam (inanimate), we are tested to the limit on our patience.

As to so many Buddhas and Bodhisattvas - hmmm... I always thought there is only ONE who emanates in so many different forms.

there is only 1 Buddha but Rinpoche has also mentioned that each emanation has its own aggregates and consciousness. It has also been compared to a moon and its reflections in water: the moon is one but it can appear anywhere where there is water reflecting the moon, all appears to be independent but the moon is still the source...

oh well, i'd rather just take it as it is than to intellectualize, after all in some pujas you are to visualize everyone and everything around you as a holy being, perhaps this concept helps to keep that in check.

If you propose to speak, always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind." ~Buddha
wmw111
Administrator

wmw113@hotmail.com wmw111.rm
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »

I don't quite understand the context in which you say there is only one Buddha.

All Buddhas are of the same nature , Buddhas are like water mixing with water.  But does that mean if I become a Buddha I will be merged into one continuum ? But prior to becoming a Buddha , it was individuals beings who strove for enlightenment . Am I getting this correct?

'Fear is the absolute confusion between you and your projections'

'You are very preoccupied with getting what you want, so you will fail to see what is'

~ Chogyam Trungpa ~
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 06:24:52 AM »

I don't quite understand the context in which you say there is only one Buddha.

All Buddhas are of the same nature , Buddhas are like water mixing with water.  But does that mean if I become a Buddha I will be merged into one continuum ? But prior to becoming a Buddha , it was individuals beings who strove for enlightenment . Am I getting this correct?

so far i do feel that way, based on what i have read so far as the best masters from all traditions will only say the same thing,the merging of the mind to the source can be observed from there. So, the better our practice is the more our mind will resemble our Guru's which is the Buddha's mind. Another clue to why i feel that way is because Rinpoche, Pabongkha Rinpoche and Milarepa have mentioned that all Gurus are the same in nature - even if they appear differently. That's what i feel it may be but i do not know for sure until i am enlightened

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: